Learning objectives AESOP4Food seminar
Phase 1: Exploring the field of play
Keywords: Main challenges, Theoretical frameworks, Approaches and methods: PAR, living labs, analysing methods; Defining your position and values
- Understands the concept of food systems in their cultural, local and regional setting.
- Can explain the main concepts related to participatory learning and research and the role of living labs.
- Can explain the main concepts related to sustainable food planning.
- Is aware of contemporary challenges to sustainable food systems in the context of spatial planning.
- Develops an understanding of the multiple dimensions of food systems: social, environmental, economic and spatial.
- Can define her/his own position and values regarding sustainable food planning.
Phase 2: Analysing your local foodscape
Keywords: Mapping a food system; Mapping the stakeholders, consumers, policymakers (power mapping); SWOT analysis
- Can map and evaluate a concrete situation of a food system.
- Can select the most adequate methods and tools to be applied for analysis and evaluation.
- Can identify stakeholders and power structures in a new and unknown context.
- Can map the basic components of a local or city/region food system.
- Can define the most relevant challenges in a collaborative way.
Phase 3. Collaborative goals and vision
Keywords: Collaborative goal setting; Selecting the challenges to address
- Can apply techniques of collaborative goal setting.
- Can formulate an approach and/or a possible solution for a selected challenge that is related to his/her own competences and role in the system.
Phase 4: Strategy and interventions
Keywords: Scenarios, alternatives, strategy, prototyping, testing
- Can develop a strategy based on a joint vision reflecting on concepts of change and change agency
- Can select and apply methods and tools for prototyping possible interventions
- Can develop a prototype to connect strategies and interventions/ discuss prototypical interventions with others as a way of testing a strategy
Phase 5: Evaluation & monitoring
Keywords: collaborative evaluation; self-reflection
- Is able to have a critical reflection of the role of the planner in a pluralistic society (expert vs facilitator).
- Is able to reflect on his/her own process, using feedback from others reflecting on cultural, social and economic differences.